Thursday, January 28, 2010

2 out of 3




I taught my first workshop yesterday, at a school for Burmese students preparing to take their GED. The entire ground was covered with paintings drying by the time we were finished. They had tissue papered, mono-printed, and painted... totally exceeding my expectations.
Today, I taught at the school where Thane teaches -- a class of 30 including the director and a couple of other teachers. It was invigorating, to say the least. They are so resourceful -- laying their wet paintings in bushes and trees to dry, mixing paint colors in a green leaf they picked, gathering delicate stems and leaves from their huge garden to add to their paintings. It was so exciting. I knew I would learn from them, and I am amazed at the magnitude of that possibility.
They have been so enthusiastic, I had to go buy more paper for tomorrow's workshop -- at a new school with 26 students. Thane and I rode his motorbike with backpacks full of art supplies-- on our backs, our fronts, and wedged between us... to deliver them to the school so I can ride my bicycle there first thing in the morning.
Directly after, we are going to a festival some 7 or 8 hours away where we will stay on a houseboat for two nights.

I am so lucky to know people like these students --so eager, talented, and absolutely lovely people. I am resisting the idea that oppression is what creates such a gracious spirit in someone.

More soon. Love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. Maggi,
    I knew you would love the experince and I can tell the students are loving it also. I cannot imagine you on a motorbike. Please get a picture. Where did you get a bicycle from?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the photo of drying paintings/sleeping dog!! Wow, such a wonderful adventure and blessing to watch how much the kids love being
    creative. Happy festival & good wishes from NC
    ~ Susan L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see these beautiful photos, industrious kids and happy Maggi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Maggi: This just in from David in Chiang Mai, in case you end up there with some extra time!

    "Had to change my sim card. New thai phone number is 08 2390 8189. Hope your friend is having fun. Look forward to meeting her. xo dp"

    ReplyDelete