Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Back home" in Mae Sot-- no snowstorm here

Taught my last art class Friday morning, then jumped in a car Thane rented. Just got back in town after trying to get to a border town and the house boat we reserved. We drove 3 or 4 hours in the mountains on twisty roads, got to Umphang and asked where the road we were on continued on out of town. It didn't. End of road. End of story. We couldn't get where we wanted to go without backtracking and spending another 15 hours on the road. So visited a cave, slept in a hut along the river, and returned today. I have filled up every camera card about 3 times each, and my flash drive with photos. So I need to find a place to download them to CDs or something. Yikes. Who would have guessed?

Got a head massage and shampoo (20 minutes of bliss!) and hair cut (three women combed out my hair!). Met a woman who works in an orphanage and she invited me to teach an art class. Of course! So tomorrow we bike 45 minutes out of town to the orphanage. I can't wait to meet the 26 children. So, I knew something else would make itself known to me, and my last few days here are filling up. The same woman also invited me to the clinic where 2500 Burmese children were born last year. And then there is the circus that is coming to visit lots of orphanages. So I'll have to squeeze that in too.
I've only been here a week, and it seems like a month... I already know how to bicycle all over town, and even say hello to people I know on their bicycles and motobikes as I go thru the streets.

It's so sunny and hot here, it is difficult for me to imagine your snowstorm and power outages. But I do remember. Here's hoping you all are warm and safe and get at least a day off of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment